It’s March 8th, and time to celebrate women! International Women’s Day is a time to recognize the extraordinary accomplishments of women the world over, from Marie Curie to Malala. Here are our top five reasons why you should observe International Women’s Day this year:
- Women in History:There’s plenty of women worth honoring from history on this day. Russian ruler Catherine the Great promoted education, Elizabeth Cady Stanton pioneered the women’s rights movement, and Susan B. Anthony established the National Woman’s Suffrage Association. Here’s just a handful of other names who have made an amazing impact on women’s rights — Harriet Tubman, Eleanor Roosevelt, Margaret Mead, Amelia Earhart, Gloria Steinem, and many, many more.
- Women in Politics: All around the U.S. and in political elections around the world, women are stepping up to the challenge of running for office. Of course, there’s iconic political figure Hillary Clinton, who’s served as Secretary of State, U.S. Senator, and First Lady. But there are plenty of other women in the House of Representatives and Senate, both in the U.S. and in each state, that make up the political fabric of this nation and help to work towards a better future for all women. Plus, women’s voices have contributed to landmark acts like the Fair Pay Act and the Violence Against Women Act.
- Women in Science & Education:As men and women graduate from college at about the same rates now, and women outnumber men in college enrollment numbers, it’s a great time to focus on how women are changing education. More and more women are joining STEM fields like computer science, technology, and mathematics. They’re also earning around two-thirds of master’s degrees and a little over half of doctoral and professional degrees.
- Women in Business: Female leaders continue to be on the rise, with billion dollar corporations entrusting women to run their businesses. Yahoo, HP, General Motors, and Pepsi all have female CEOs! Moreover, there are more women than ever on the Forbes Billionaires list, compromising 172 women. Plus, entrepreneurs are becoming their own billionaires with innovative products and design, like Spanx founder Sara Blakely.
- Women in the Community: All over YouTube, women who are thought leaders in their fields are hosting TED talks, inspiring others with thought provoking speeches. Entertainers like Beyonce embrace feminism, and women dominate the podiums at the Olympic Games. And while women have been serving in active military duty for a long time, we now have a female admiral in the Navy, along with many other high-ranking female officers in all branches of the military.
Women all over the world, today is your day. What will you do to celebrate women this year? Leave a comment and let us know!
The post Top 5 Reasons to Celebrate International Women’s Day appeared first on Karma Kiss Blog.